Eligibility requirements for the first home owner grant The $7,000 first home owner grant is NOT available for established homes (that is, homes previously lived in) that were purchased on or after 11 October 2012.
- contracts to buy an established home (including off-the-plan) dated before 11 October 2012
- contracts to buy or build a brand new home (that is, not previously sold or occupied as a place of residence) dated before 12 September 2012
- new homes being built by an owner–builder where the start date for the laying of the foundations was before 12 September 2012.
- at least 18 years of age
- not a company or a person acting as a trustee
- an Australian citizen or permanent resident (or a joint applicant with someone who is an Australian citizen or permanent resident).
You may be eligible for the grant if you are a trustee of a trust (other than a discretionary or unit trust) and all the beneficiaries are individuals under a legal disability who will live in the home as their principal place of residence. To be eligible, you and your spouse have:
- never been paid the first home owner grant
- before 1 July 2000, not owned residential property in Australia
- from 1 July 2000, not lived in residential property (in Australia) you have owned.
Also, you must:
- move into the home within 1 year of the property being registered in your name
- live in the home for a continuous period of 6 months as your principal place of residence.